The Salem County Tax Board
County Boards of Taxation are charged with the supervision of Tax Assessors, the review of each municipality’s tax list, the equalization of tax assessments, the calculation of tax rates and preparing the abstract of ratables, and hearing appeals and rendering judgments. The office of the Board of Taxation, under the supervision of the County Tax Administrator, provides for the day-to-day operational efforts.
The Salem County Board of Taxation is dedicated to serving the residents of our fifteen municipalities and the county itself with the highest degree of professionalism, uniform equity and superior efficiency in all matters with its jurisdiction.
Parent Department: Treasury
President: Steven H. Caltabiano, CTA (term 5-1-2022)
Vice President: Brenda H. Hall (term 5-1-2020)
Debra Behnke (term 5-1-2020)
Angela Susan Voros (term 5-1-2020)
Kevin Crouch (term 5-1-2021)
Tax Administrator: John Snyder, CTA
Administrative Clerk/OPRA Custodian: Kathy McAllister
Tax Appeal Hearings
The Salem County Board of Taxation will be hearing 2021 Tax Appeals on Tuesday evenings on the following dates in Courtroom #5 (first floor) at the Salem County Courthouse, 91 Market St., Salem City, commencing at 5:00PM unless otherwise noted.
- June 1st – Pennsville
- June 8th – Carney’s Point, Penn’s Grove, Salem City
- June 15th – Alloway, Elmer, Elsinboro, Mannington, Pilesgrove, Pittsgrove, Quinton, Upper Pittsgrove and Woodstown
At the conclusion of the hearings the Salem County Board of Taxation will review, deliberate and adjudicate appeals heard on the date indicated. Judgements will be mailed to appellants within 10 days of the hearing date.
2021-2022 Meeting Dates
Please be advised that the Salem County Board of Taxation at their May 3rd Reorganization Board Meeting adopted their monthly meeting schedule for the remainder of 2021 and the first five months of 2022.
The new Regular Monthly Meetings will be held on the second Wednesday of each month, unless otherwise noted, at 8:30 am in the Board of Taxation Office in the Salem County Fifth Street Complex at 110 Fifth Street, Suite 300, Salem City NJ, 08079.
The meeting dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, June 1, 2021 – Tac Appeal Hearings **4:30 PM
- Wednesday, July 14, 2021 – Certify Tax Rates, if available
- Wednesday, August 11 2021 – Certify Tax Rates/Farmland
- Wednesday, September 8, 2021 – 4:00 pm – Table of Aggregates; Rollback Hearings
- Wednesday, October 13, 2021 – Added/Omitted Tax Lists
- Wednesday, November 10, 2021 – Regular Business Meeting
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021 – Added/Omitted Appeal Hearings
- Wednesday, January 12, 2022 – Establish Percentage Level of Taxable Value
- Wednesday, February 9, 2022 – Preliminary Equalization Table; Adm. Changes
- Wednesday, March 16, 2022 – Final Equalization Table
- Wednesday, April 13, 2022 – Regular Business Meeting
- Wednesday, May 4, 2022 – Reorganization*
* Pursuant to N.J.A.C. 18:12A-1.2(e), The Salem County Board of Taxation will organize and elect from its members a president who shall hold office for one year, or until his/her successor is duly elected. At that meeting a new calendar shall be promulgated for the period of June, 2022 through May, 2023.